For the upcoming flu season, the influenza vaccine will be critical to reduce the impact of respiratory illness in our communities during the COVID-19 pandemic. Because we don’t currently have a way to prevent COVID-19 outside of social distancing, practicing good hygiene and disinfecting commonly used surfaces, it is highly recommended everyone get a flu vaccine this year.
Below are some of the symptoms of COVID-19 and how they compare to flu symptoms:
- Fever or feeling feverish/chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle pain or body aches
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults
Differences between COVID-19 and Flu
Both COVID-19 and the flu have the following symptoms and are spread in similar ways.
- Both can be transmitted through person to person contact or droplets from coughing, sneezing or talking.
- Both can be transmitted by someone who isn’t showing signs of being sick or experiencing any symptoms.
- Both can live on surfaces
- COVID-19 and Influenza are different types of viruses that can cause similar symptoms in humans.
- The Influenza virus does not live in the air for a certain amount of time.
- The flu spreads faster than COVID-19 and symptoms appear sooner. Flu symptoms become visible within 1-4 days while COVID-19 can take up to 14 days.
- COVID-19 is more deadly than the flu. The mortality rate for the flu is less than 1% of people infected while COVID-19 has a mortality rate of 4%-6% of people infected.
- The most important difference is – there is a vaccine to prevent the flu!
Visit any pharmacy for a flu shot today, no appointment needed. To keep everyone safe, we have implemented new safety measures this year:
- All patients getting a flu shot are required to wear a mask
- Please take a moment to complete the intake form here prior to coming to the pharmacy