Extend the life of your produce with these simple tricks! Watch the video recipe here!
Prep: 15 minutes plus cooling Cook: 5 minutes Serves: 8
- 2½ cups sliced carrots (about ¼-inch thick)
- 2 cups sliced cucumbers (about ¼-inch thick)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1½ teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1½ teaspoons yellow mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- Fill 2 (1-quart) glass jars with carrots and cucumbers.
- In medium saucepan, heat remaining ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves; cool. Pour vinegar mixture into jars over vegetables; seal jars with lids and refrigerate up to 1 week.
Other vegetables to use in this recipe include asparagus, cauliflower, green beans and/or radishes.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 26 Calories, 0g Fat (0g Saturated), 0mg Cholesterol, 123mg Sodium, 6g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 4g Sugars, 2g Added Sugars, 1g Protein
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 10 minutes Serves: 4
- 2 cans (19-ounces each) vegetable soup
- 3 cups greens such as baby arugula or chopped kale or spinach
- ¼ cup shaved or grated Parmesan cheese
- In large saucepot, heat soup as label directs; stir in greens and cook. Serve soup topped with cheese.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 cup): 119 Calories, 2g Fat (1g Saturated), 6mg Cholesterol, 750mg Sodium, 18g Carbohydrates, 4g Fiber, 5g Sugars, 2g Added Sugars, 6g Protein
Homemade Tomato Sauce
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 2 hours 20 minutes Serves: 6
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 5½ cups chopped tomatoes (about 7 medium)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In large saucepot, cook garlic, oil and crushed red pepper flakes over medium-low heat 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion and 1 teaspoon salt; cook 7 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, pepper and remaining ½ teaspoon salt; heat to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sugar and vinegar; transfer to blender and purée.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 126 Calories, 10g Fat (1g Saturated), 0mg Cholesterol, 593mg Sodium, 12g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 6g Sugars, 2g Added Sugars, 2g Protein
Fruit Ice Cubes
Prep: 5 minutes Serves: 6
- 2 cups raspberries, blueberries strawberries or blackberries
- 1½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- In blender, purée all ingredients; pour into ice cube trays and freeze overnight. Makes 30 (1-inch) ice cubes.
Serve ice cubes in sparkling water or lemonade.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (5 ice cubes): 27 Calories, 0g Fat (0g Saturated), 0mg Cholesterol, 0mg Sodium, 6g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 3g Sugars, 1g Added Sugars, 1g Protein