This month’s newsletter is dedicated to all things vegetables! With winter finally behind us and spring in full swing, it’s a good time to start thinking about incorporating more fruits and vegetables into our diets. Eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits offers many benefits:
- Having a diet rich in vegetables and fruit may reduce the risk for heart disease, including heart attack and stroke and protect against certain types of cancer
- Vegetables and fruits high in fiber may reduce the risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart disease
- Vegetables and fruits rich in potassium may lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and decrease bone loss
- Switch out vegetables that are lower in calories per cup, instead of some higher-calorie food may be helpful to lower calorie intake
In this newsletter, you’ll find some of Augason Farm’s most popular vegetable products, tips and tricks to get your kids to eat more veggies and helpful information on starting your own spring garden.
Augason Farms Vegetables
When people think about emergency food storage, most tend to think about flour, sugar, potato gems and dehydrated meat, or lots of carbohydrate and protein products. But when you are building your food storage for a stockpile or your pantry, it’s important that you have fruits and vegetables for vital nutrients, vitamins and minerals to stay healthy. However, storing fruits and vegetables can be difficult, and this is why Augason Farms offers freeze-dried and dehydrated vegetables, along with vegetable seeds, to ensure you can have healthy foods on hand at all times!
Our dehydrated and freeze dried vegetables function as a great snack, can be a cheaper option for using veggies when they’re out of season and serve as an excellent source of nutrition following a major emergency. Plus, it’s a quick alternative to canning and freezing. Our team works to ensure that every vegetable we provide offers the highest nutritional benefit, with top-of-the-line flavor and quality. Here are some popular veggies products our customers love to have on hand:
Augason Farms Dehydrated Diced Carrots – With all the same vitamins as fresh carrots, these are peeled and diced and ready to add to your favorite soups, salads or side dishes.
Augason Farms Dehydrated Cut Onions – A simple no-prep, no-tears way to add full-bodied flavor to soups, gravies and sauces. Just add water to make a rich, flavorful chicken broth.
Augason Farms Dehydrated Potato Slices– Skip the prep work and add these hassle-free sliced potatoes to casseroles, soups, or potato salads.
Kids and Vegetables
Tips and tricks to get them to eat their greens
The biggest battle around the family dinner table usually centers on getting kids to eat—especially their vegetables. While the thought of getting children to try peas, Brussels sprouts or red bell peppers can seem daunting and nearly impossible, there are a few things that you can do to help your kids cultivate a positive experience with their food.
- Be a good role model. Research shows that many kids tend to model their eating habits after their parents.
- Enforce the one bite rule. Encourage your children to at least try any vegetables that are on their plate. They don’t have to like it, but they do have to try it.
- Sneak the vegetables in. Children are more willing to eat their veggies if they’re found in a cheesy casserole or blended in a smoothie (fruit will always dominate the veggie flavors).
- Feed them what they will eat. If your kids like tomatoes and baby carrots, always have some on hand. Serve them new vegetables with more familiar ones, so that even if they don’t like the new ones, you know that they will still eat something.
Spring Garden Tips and Tricks
The cold weather behind us, and summer is knocking on our door. Now is a great time to plant your spring garden with Augason Farms’ Vegetable Garden Seeds. These 13 hardy seed varieties are specially selected for their storage capability, first-rate flavor, and high yields and proven adaptable to almost any region. As you get prepped to plant your garden this year, here are a few suggestions to help you maximize your harvest:
- Clear your garden and remove any debris from winter
- Revitalize the soil by adding organic material like compost
- Trim old plants so they’ll grow anew
As a special offer in May, our customers can buy 3 Augason Farms Vegetables and get $3 off! Be sure to check out all of the delicious vegetable products that Augason Farms has to offer. We only offer high-quality products, so you never have to be concerned over nutritional benefits. It’s our top priority to our customers.