In 1947, Walt Macey and Dale A. Jones started the “Save-A-Nickel-Market” in Rose Park, Utah. Walt and Dale grew the business into a four-store operation and the stores were known for their personalized service and friendliness.
In 1963, the partners split and Walt kept one store in Rose Park, which he later renamed Macey’s. Walt went on to acquire some rival stores in Salt Lake Valley, and converted them into Macey’s. In 1973, he built his first 20,000-square-foot store called Macey’s Farmers Markets in Logan, and later, a 27,000-square-foot store in North Ogden. In 1976, he built a store at Carillon Square in Orem and later moved it to its current location at 800 North State Street.
Walt retired in 1985, and turned over management of the stores to his oldest son Ken, who with his wife, Robin, acquired his parents’ share of the business in 1987. Ken and Robin continued to grow the business by offering personalized service and genuine old-fashioned friendliness.
Ken sold the business to Associated Foods Stores in 1999. Since then Macey’s has continued to be a destination for thousands of Utah families looking for a great deal on groceries. Over the years additional Macey’s stores have been built or purchased. In 2002, the Macey’s in Pleasant Grove was built, 2007, the current store in Providence was built to replace the old store in Logan, in 2011, the Clinton and Lehi locations were purchased and in 2014, the Logan location was purchased. With all this growth, Macey’s now serves the communities of Logan, Providence, Ogden, Clinton, Tooele, West Jordan, Sandy, Lehi, Pleasant Grove, Orem, Provo and Spanish Fork.