While price is certainly important, so is living a healthy life that will keep you both happy and active. Food Club is thrilled to offer both! With Essential Choice items, Food Club makes it easy to find healthier options at your local grocer.
With its iconic blue packaging, Essential Choice items make identifying lower fat, sugar and sodium items a snap. Along with the blue color, Essential Choice items have an active lifestyle ribbon and icons with the information you need to make great decisions.
Click here to learn more about our exclusive brands.
Try this healthy twist on the classic banana split.
2 scoops of your favorite yogurt
Almonds, cashews, or walnuts
Slice your banana down the middle so that it looks like an open boat. Fill with yogurt. Top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Saturday April 14th, Utah State University Extension Food $ense will be sampling veggies with a healthy ranch dip. Stop by the Tooele Macey’s between 10:00 am and noon to try this delicious recipe and discover how easy it is to make a healthy veggie dip.
This is part of a monthly healthy food sampling program that occurs the second Saturday of each month. The program is a partnership with Utah State University Food $ense and Live Fit Tooele County, a program of the Tooele County Health Department.
Working in an office is amazing! You have co-workers, your own work station and so much more but sometimes it is hard to keep your resolutions and eat healthy because the options aren’t available. Don’t worry though because we have the solution to help make your resolutions a reality. Below is a list of items you can get at our stores to keep your office snacking healthy!
- Fresh Cut Fruit
- Fresh Farms Mixes
- Assorted Nuts
- Protein Bars
- Fruit Leather
- And so much more!
Come in today to help make your resolutions a reality!
Parents know that getting kids to eat healthy is a battle but the dinner table should not be a place of stress. We are here with ten tips to try out in your quest for healthy eating with kids.
- Be the leader: It is a known fact that children are observant. They want to be like mom and dad. That crosses over into eating. If you want your kids to eat healthy then be the example for them. Choose the carrot stick over the french fry and your kids will more than likely follow.
- Repeat, Repeat, Repeat: Make healthy options consistent in your home. Include them with every meal and have them easily accessible for any quick snack.
- Don’t make vegetables negative: Be careful with how you talk about healthy options. Make them something they want to eat instead of need to eat. Vegetables and fruit should not be a box you need to check. Use positive, fun words when talking about it.
- Involve kids in making food: Kids like to get their hands in on the action. Let them help you with meal prepping. It is a great time to educate your kids on how to cook and why we eat the variety of foods we eat.
- Start their day healthy: Get rid of the sugared cereal for breakfast. When you start your day with a healthy breakfast option you are more likely to eat healthy the rest of the day. Same goes for kids :).
- Make it fun: Get creative with your fruits and vegetables by making an activity out of it. Use cookie cutters to make them into fun shapes. Create pictures out of various foods. Come up with creative names for each food. A kid may be more excited to eat a magic wand carrot than a plain carrot stick.
- Have patience: Your children may not love fruit and vegetables at first but give them time. Children’s taste buds are still forming as they grow so they are very likely to change the things they like. Just keep promoting healthy options and they may end up being their favorites.
- Let them grow: If you can, plant a small backyard garden and have your children help nurture the plants and watch them grow. Kids will be fascinated with the process and will excite them to try out their creations.
- Prep healthy snacks: Take time to make healthy snack bags. Place them on the lowest shelf of your fridge or pantry so they are easy to grab for little hands.
- Hide and seek: You always want to make sure your children are seeing the healthy options they eat but occasionally use recipes that allow you to hide vegetables in your meals.
It is that time of year again where we are all running from store to store to make sure we get that perfect deal; but, with all the running around, sometimes meals get pushed back or forgotten. No worries though because we are here to help. We have so many healthy options you can come in and grab to take with you on all your errands to ensure you stay nourished. Come in and pick up these delicious drinks and treats and others today!
- Fresh Cut Fruit-Perfect for snacking on when you want that pineapple or cantaloupe but can’t cut it up.
- Apples, Bananas, Oranges-Fresh fruit is the perfect pick-me-up during your shopping.
- Fresh Farms Mixes-These delicious different dried fruits and trail mixes go nicely in your purse or car and are there for you to snack on all day long.
- Protein Bars-Not only are these delicious, but they give you good nutrients to help you keep going.
- Drinks-Whether you are picking up a water, a V8 or any of your other favorite drinks, it will help you stay hydrated throughout the day.
Nothing warms the soul like soup, especially when it is simple and healthy fresh tomato soup. Ready in minutes for any fall or winter day.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6-7 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 6-7 basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place onion and garlic in pan over medium heat and cook for a few minutes until onions are slightly translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes until tomatoes are soft.
- Remove pan from heat and add salt, pepper and basil.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
Saturday, October 14th Live Fit Tooele will be sampling local apples with Tajin seasoning. Stop by the Tooele Macey’s between 10:00 am and noon to try these delicious seasonal apples. This is part of Live Fit Tooele’s regular healthy food sampling program that occurs the second Saturday of each month. Click here to learn more about Live Fit Tooele County, a program of the Tooele County Health Department, and their future events.
As we all know, exercise is the best way to keep your heart healthy, but we are always looking to help our bodies out even more. Below are 5 foods that will help you keep a healthy heart while still enjoying what you eat.
- Avocados-Avocados get a bad rap for being “fatty” but in fact, their fat is good! It assists in lowering your bad cholesterol. Avocados can be used to put on crackers, toast, and many other foods in place of butter, or other fatty spreads. Click here for deals on this item!
- Salmon-Salmon is rich in omega-3’s which helps your blood flow. Blood flow is extremely important when it comes to heart health for obvious reasons. Keep your heart pumping while eating a delicious entree.
- Berries-Berries aren’t just delicious, they also help widen your arteries because of their high level of compounds. Whether you are adding them on top of oatmeal, mixing them in a smoothie, or just eating them plain, they will keep you feeling great! Click here to read about our local produce farmers.
- Whole Grains-Whole grains are a great source of dietary fiber. Including dietary fiber in your diet can help lower the risk of heart disease and lower blood cholesterol levels so next time you are picking up some bread, make sure to grab the whole grain bread to keep that heart healthy.
- Asparagus-Asparagus has about 5 calories per spear and is packed with benefits. It has fiber, vitamins, and so much more! Whether you are eating asparagus as the side to a fancy meal or as a snack during the day, your heart will thank you! Click here for deals on this item!
With its rainbow of fresh produce, a salad can be a delicious and striking part of your meal…not to mention loaded with nutrients! Now, if dousing your salad with a calorie-laden dressing is the only way to get your picky eaters to enjoy it, I’ll call that a win. A better option (double win?) would be to use a lighter, healthier dressing. Here are four healthy and delicious salad dressings you can make in less than five minutes:
- Ranch Dressing with Greek Yogurt-This savory dressing pairs wonderfully with all salads and is great for dipping as well. Try yours with spring mix, julienne carrots, bean sprouts and cucumber!
- Balsamic Vinaigrette – Offering a distinctive Mediterranean flavor, this dressing pairs wonderfully with baby spinach, pomegranate seeds and pine nuts.
- Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad Dressing– The Greek yogurt provides the creamy texture you’ve come to expect in a Caesar salad with less fat and more protein. I guarantee you won’t miss your old Caesar one bit!
- Raspberry Vinaigrette – The raspberry vinegar lends a deep, complex flavor with fruit undertones to this salad dressing. Pairs well with spinach, berries and nuts.
Enjoy making these healthy salad dressings and get that double win at your next meal!