Crispy fried chicken coated in a delicious orange chicken sauce served with fluffy white rice makes for the perfect lunch or dinner.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 large orange, juice & zest
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mix with 1 tbsp water
- Slice chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Mix together the flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the egg, oil and water. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken to the mixture until thoroughly coated. Cover and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- In a medium saucepan, add 2 inches of oil and heat to 350˚F. Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Add the marinated chicken cubes in batches of about 10-15 pieces. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes until golden, turning halfway through with a slotted spoon for even browning.
- Remove to the plate and cover with foil to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, add orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and garlic.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a low boil. Adjust sugar, soy sauce and vinegar to suit your preference.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a cup to make a slurry and pour into the sauce. Stir constantly until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the fried chicken and toss until the sauce coats it thoroughly.
- Serve with fluffy white or brown rice.