The end of summer is here! Say farewell with a spicy and cheesy spin on a classic BBQ favorite.
Prep: 20 minutes Grill: 10 minutes Serves: 4
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup lager beer
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¾ cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 bratwurst sausages
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1¼ cups mild chili with no beans, warmed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced crosswise
- Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add ¼ cup onion and cook 3 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Whisk in flour; cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook 1 minute, whisking occasionally. Increase heat to medium; whisk in beer and cook 2 minutes or until reduced by ¼, whisking occasionally. Add garlic and cream; cook 3 minutes or until thickened, whisking frequently. Remove from heat; gradually whisk in cheese until smooth. Whisk in mustard and pepper until smooth; cover to keep warm. Makes about 1¼ cups.
- Place brats on hot grill rack; cover and cook 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°, turning once.
- Serve brats in buns topped with chili, Beer-Cheese Sauce, jalapeño and remaining onion.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 brat): 743 Calories, 52g Fat (23g Saturated), 143mg Cholesterol, 1434mg Sodium, 33g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 5g Sugars, 32g Protein