Frog-eye salad is delicious even though the name doesn’t sound very appetizing… Try this recipe for a Utah classic that will always be a crowd-pleaser.
- 1 cup acini di pepe pasta or pastina pasta
- 1 can (20 oz.) pineapple tidbits in juice (not syrup), drained, reserve juice
- 1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple juice, drained, reserve the juice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cans (15 oz. ea) mandarin oranges in juice
- 1 container (8 oz.) frozen whipped topping, completely thawed
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse pasta in cold water then place in large bowl in refrigerator.
- Drain pineapple tidbits for 1 cup of pineapple juice.
- Remove 1 tablespoon pineapple juice and pour into small bowl. Pour remaining pineapple juice into medium pot, set over medium heat.
- Whisk in egg. Add flour and reserved tablespoon of pineapple juice together and whisk with fork until smooth. Add to egg and pineapple mixture. Add salt and white sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture has thickened. Stir occasionally for 10 min. Remove pot from heat. Stir in lemon juice and cool in refrigerator for approximately 30 min.
- Pour pasta in and return bowl to refrigerator until everything is completely chilled.
- Open cans and drain mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, and pineapple tidbits.
- Add fruit to cooled pasta mixture and stir.
- Gently add thawed whipped topping unit all ingredients are combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight.