This classic restaurant technique can easily be done at home and will quickly become one of your favorite ways to prepare fish.
Prep: 20 minutes • Cook: 15 minutes • Serves: 4
- 4 (5-ounce) cod fillets
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut lengthwise into thin ribbons with vegetable peeler
- 2 teaspoons thinly sliced chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Pat cod dry with paper towel; sprinkle both sides with ½ teaspoon each salt and black pepper, and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Add 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon butter and cod to skillet; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Turn cod; cook 4 to 5 minutes longer or until internal temperature of cod reaches 145°. Transfer cod to large plate; keep warm. Remove skillet from heat; add lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Meanwhile, heat second large skillet over medium-high until hot; reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, onion and Brussels sprouts to skillet; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add radishes and carrot; cook 1 minute. Add chives, tarragon, and remaining ½ teaspoon each salt and black pepper.
- Spoon lemon-butter over cod and vegetables to serve.
Approximate nutritional values per serving: 346 Calories, 22g Fat (8g Saturated), 91mg Cholesterol, 951mg Sodium, 11g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 25g Protein