Cool, crisp and healthy salads are the perfect snack, starter or complete meal. When you get a salad right it is a colorful meal full of flavor, texture and nutrients. Follow these five steps to make every salad taste amazing!
- Step 1: Choose a base- Decide what kind of salad you are going to make and then figure out the perfect leafy green. Remember the darker the green the greater it is in nutritional value. Some great options: Romaine, arugula, butterhead lettuce, red leaf, green leaf, spinach, cress, cabbage, collard green, etc.
- Step 2: Add produce- This is where you add color, texture and flavor to your salad. The more color you add to your salad the more variety of nutrients you get. Put at least two types of produce into your salad for a total of 2 cups produce. Some great produce options: bell peppers, brocolli, carrots, cucumber, green beans, radishes, corn, tomato, cauliflower, beets, onions, mushrooms, etc.
- Step 3: Make it filling with protein- A salad turns into a meal when you add protein. Choose lean sources of protein to keep your salad good and healthy. Some great protein options: black beans, chicken, ham, turkey, eggs, salmon, lentils, kidney beans, tuna, garbanzo beans, edamame, tofu, peas, pork,etc.
- Step 4: Boost with flavor- Make your salad spectacular with salad toppings that add crunch and flavor. You don’t need much to boost your salad. Some great flavor boosters: bacon bits, chia seeds, cranberries, olives, raisins, salsa, almonds, blue cheese, feta cheese,etc.
- Step 5: Dress it up- No salad is complete with dressing. Pick a salad dressing that will compliment the flavors. You don’t want to drown out your salad–you don’t need more than 2 tablespoons of dressing. Try out low calorie options or try a recipe to make your own.